Agents and Distributors are an important component of international trade and the choice whether to use an agent or distributor depends on many factors such as the market size, type of products or services, degree of control the exporter wants to exercise. In many cases, appointing the right agent or distributor is the key to whether your exports will do well or fail in the overseas market you want to penetrate. This course will enable you to gain the knowledge and strategies to successfully expand into international markets by using agents or distributors.
Participants should be able to:
- Gain an understanding of whether to work with an agent or distributor and their respective roles and functions
- How to locate, select, work with, motivate, and manage an agent or distributor
- Be aware of Legal and cultural issues when working with an overseas agent or distributor
- How to turn the principal –Agent/Distributor relationship into a win-win arrangement and partnership.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
Export Managers/Executives, Marketing and Sales Managers/Executives, International Traders, General Managers, CEOs
Training Session, Case Studies, Group Discussions, Role Play & Video Presentations
- Overseas Market Entry Strategies
- Agent or Distributor – What is the Difference?
- Understanding the Roles of Agents and Distributors, how to utilise them to penetrate international markets and to leverage their local know-how and expertise.
- How to find and assess potential Agents and Distributors
- What to look for in an Agent or Distributor
- How to draft an effective agency or distributorship agreement and points to look out for when entering into an Agreement with an Agent or Distributor.
- Develop cross -cultural understanding and communication when dealing with overseas agents or distributors
- How to motivate your appointed Agent or Distributor to enable them to perform effectively to expand your business growth overseas.
- Achieving effective Principal – Agent/Distributor Communication for better mutual understanding and performance.
- Contract Negotiations between Principal and an Agent or Distributor to ensure mutually beneficial terms, legal expectations and clear understand of each other’s position and expectations.
- When and how to change and terminate an Agent or Distributor
- How to monitor and evaluate your agent’s or distributor’s performance to ensure an effective and productive partnership.
- Case Studies and Discussions